22 Apr 2018by Celia D. Luna
No, Thank you.
Each year, we’re putting 8 million metric tons of plastic in the oceans or nearly 700 pieces per human alive on the planet. And just to give you an idea, it takes 50 years to break down a styrofoam cup and 450 years to break down a plastic bottle. During that time, it can kill fish and birds and it can also be ingested by marine creatures and enter into the food chain. Which means plastic-eating fish are now showing up in our supermarkets. Scary, isn’t?
Here are 5 things you can do to create a future with less plastic. Tomorrow is Earth Day and a great day to start these new habits that will make a huge difference for our kids and are as easy as saying “no, thank you”.
1. Say no, thank you to plastic bags. Buy reusable bags for when you go grocery shopping and carry one in your purse for spontaneous purchases! I love these that fit in your pocket and in your purse.
2. Say no, thank you to plastic cutlery. Most municipalities won’t recycle plastic cutlery, so the plastic cutlery that is put into a recycling bin is usually sorted out at the recycling facility and sent to a landfill. Is it really worth to toss plastic cutlery after a 15min use? Buy reusable bamboo utensils! I love this small and useful portable spork.
3. Say no, thank you to plastic water bottles. Buy a reusable water bottle instead. Some insulated water bottles can keep your water cold for up to 24 hours! Say yes to cold water and yes, to helping the environment. Also, think of all the money you will save!
4. Say no, thank you to plastic straws. In most cases, you don’t really need one. We’re just used to get one in every freaking drink. Why? who knows! If you must have one, get a stainless steel one and carry it with you.
5. Say no, thank you to disposable cups. If you’re a coffee or a tea drinker like me, get a reusable cup and keep it in your purse. I absolutely LOVE these cups by KeepCup. They’re very lightweight and super cute!
I will be giving away a “No, thank you kit” with all the sustainable options mentioned above to a lucky winner! To enter all you have to do is share this post on Facebook, tag me and let the world know what you will say “no, thank you” to! If Instagram is your jam, share your favorite photo of this post, tag me and do the same! There’s no Planet B, guys! We have to take care of the only one we have.
Muse: Danie of Journey of a Braid
Photo & Creative Direction: Celia D. Luna